Garbage and Recycling Services
The Village of Tiskilwa has signed a new contract with Republic Services for waste management collection in the Village for the next 5 years with optional extensions after the initial 5 year completion. The new contract will begin in March. The Village approved Republic Services bid after receiving just 2 total bids. Republic Services bid was not only the lower bid of the 2 but they have also been Tiskilwas provider in the past years and have shown great service and support throughout.
The key notes and highlights of this new contract are as follows:
- Garbage stickers will no longer be required to be placed on garbage cans for weekly collection.
- Garbage collection fee has increased from $11.00 to $21.55 per user per month. Keep in mind that residents were required to pay an additional $5 for garbage stickers. This increase should remain constant until the contract’s completion.
- Republic services will be providing a new 95 gallon garbage container and it will be the only container used for weekly collection. Those who are unable to fit all waste inside of the can should call Republic and request an additional can. There is also a 65 gallon container that is available for those who would prefer this option as well. These cans should be delivered to each user by the end of February. Recycling containers will remain the same.
- There will no longer be a bulk item collection weekend or “junk days” for the Village. Instead, each user will be able to place 1 bulk item out for collection each week as long as it is tagged using the previous years garbage stickers. These will continue to be sold at all previous locations as they have in the past and the cost will remain the same.
- Informational cards and brochures from Republic Services will be distributed in upcoming weeks with more information on their services.
- Collection dates will remain the same and magnetic calendars with those dates will again be distributed to those in good standing on all bills with the Village.
- Republic Services and the Village will host an electronic waste event. This event is scheduled for May 12 and 13th from 9am to 4pm or until the dumpsters are full for all currently billed users, users must show previous months Village utility bill for verification at the event. More information on this event will be posted at a later date